Who We Are
What is Northwest Housing Development?
Northwest Housing Development (NHD) has helped more than 750 families achieve their dreams of home ownership in Washington State's King, Pierce and Thurston counties. NHD is a public benefit, nonprofit corporation founded in 1970 to assist economically disadvantaged households achieve their dream of home ownership. Click here for links to organizations serving surrounding counties.
NHD is funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Rural Development's Section 523 Mutual Self-Help Housing program. Additional support is provided by:
- Community Frameworks
- Housing Assistance Council
- King County
- Pierce County
- Private Donors
- Rural Community Assistance Corporation
- United States Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Valley Bank
- Washington State Department of Commerce
Membership in the following organizations helps NHD develop and maintain the positive industry relationships and professional staff development to fulfill its mission.
- Building Industry Association of Washington
- Master Builders Association of Pierce County
- National Association of Homebuilders
- National Low Income Housing Coalition
- National Rural Self-Help Housing Association
- Washington Low Income Housing Network
NHD has received the following awards:
- 2007 - Sri Sri Ravi Shankar Award - received for "Uplifting Human Values"
- 2006 - Housing Assistance Council - received for participation in the Self-Help Homeownership Opportunity program
- 2000 - USDA Rural Development, Award for Outstanding Performance - received in recognition of NHD's excellence in all performance categories, including loan packaging, family bill paying, day-to-day operations and communications
- 1996 - USDA Rural Development, 25th Anniversary Self Help Housing Grantee Award - received in recognition of NHD's 25 years of successful mutual self-help housing programs
- 1994 - King County Consortium, Partner of the Year